Creamy Mushrooms and Kale
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed mushrooms, wiped clean (recommended: shiitake, porcini, cremini)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced fresh sage leaves
- 1 bundle black kale, lacinato or dinosaur kale, washed, stripped and shredded or chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- About 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- About 1/2 to 2/3 cup cream
- Freshly grated pecorino cheese
Stem and slice or coarsely chop the mushroom blend. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan and brown 10 minutes, then add in the garlic, thyme, and sage, stir 2 to 3 minutes, then add the kale and cook until just wilted. Season with salt, pepper, and a few grates of nutmeg. Stir a few minutes more, then add in the Marsala and reduce the liquid by half, another minute or 2. Add the cream to the mushrooms in the pan and reduce heat, let the flavors combine a few minutes and cream thickens. Serve the mushroom dish garnished with a few grates of cheese.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.