Crudite and 3 Sauces
- Sauce 1 Anchovy:
- 2 tins flat filet anchovies, lightly drained
- 1 tablespoon small capers in brine
- 2 tablespoons caper brine
- 1 clove garlic, cracked from skin
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sauce 2 Black Olive and Parmigiano:
- 1/2 cup pitted small black olives, such as Nicoise, kalamata may also be used
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil eyeball it
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano
- Sauce 3 Garden Tomato and Green Onion:
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 scallions, whites and tops, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped, a palmful
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Coarse salt
- Crudite: I recommend serving this in a 6 or 7 inch plain terra cotta flower pot: it looks awesome, you can use it every time you serve this crudite and it'll only cost you a few bucks at any garden shop.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 seedless cucumber, halved across then quartered lengthwise
- 1 head celery, trimmed, separated and wiped clean, ribs left whole
- 4 scallions, whole, cleaned and roots trimmed
- 4 large radishes, cleaned but left whole with greens in tact
- 4 baby zucchini, washed
- 4 small carrots, peeled and left whole
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes
Place anchovies, capers, caper brine, and garlic in food processor or blender and turn the machine on. Stream in the olive oil and form a thick dressing. Scrape the dressing into a small serving cup or bowl and return the processor bowl or the blender to its base.
Black Olive and Parmigiano Sauce:
Place the black olives, vinegar, and thyme in processor or blender. Turn machine on and stream in the olive oil. When dressing forms, stop machine and add cheese. Pulse-process cheese into dressing then transfer dressing into a second cup or small bowl.
Garden Tomato and Green Onion Sauce:
In a small mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, scallions, and parsley. Drizzle the raw sauce with the olive oil and season it with salt and pepper, to your taste.
Place the in a small pot. Cover eggs with water and bring water to a boil. Cover pot and remove from heat. Let eggs stand 10 minutes.
Drain eggs and crack shells by rattling cooked eggs inside empty covered pot. Peel and cool eggs under cold running water.
Arrange the vegetables in a flower pot, building high and stuffing the pot tightly. Nest whole eggs and whole tomatoes among the vegetables. Serve your vegetable masterpiece with sauces to pass at table.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray