- 6 slices baguette, sliced on severe angle to yield long angled 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 European or seedless cucumber, 1/4 finely diced, 1/4 cut in larger chunks
- 2 ribs celery, 1 finely diced, 1 cut in chunks, leafy green tops in tact
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, 1/2 finely diced, 1/2 chunked
- 1 small white onion, half finely chopped, half chunked
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, 15 ounces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon to tablespoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to your taste
- Salt, to your taste
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- A handful flat leaf parsley leaves
Toast bread lightly under hot broiler on both sides. Let cool.
Combine chopped fresh tomatoes with finely diced cucumber, celery, pepper, and onion in a bowl. Dress with the juice of 1/2 lime. Set aside.
Place remaining chunked veggies in food processor with the juice of remaining half lime, crushed tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, hot sauce, a little salt, the leaves of 1 sprig of oregano and a few leaves parsley. Process until smooth. Adjust salt and hot sauce to your taste. Chop remaining parsley and oregano and add to diced veggies. Season veggies with salt, to taste.
Pour puree into shallow bowl or dish, just enough to coat the bottom. Set a toast on each dish and top with equal amounts of diced vegetables. Serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray