Elsa's Warm Chicken Liver Spread with The Works
- 2 sticks butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound chicken livers, rinsed, dried, and trimmed of any connective tissues
- 8 slices sprouted wheat bread or pumpernickel bread
- About 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 palm full
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, eyeball it
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme, eyeball it
- 1 small jar cornichons or baby sweet gherkins
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and sweat them 15 minutes; - do not let brown. Once the onions are sweet and tender, add livers and raise heat just a bit. Cook until livers are firm and cooked through, another 5 to 6 minutes.
While livers cook, place bread on a cookie sheet and bake in oven to dry out and toast, 5 to 6 minutes. Cut toasted bread slices corner to corner. Pile toast triangles into a bread basket.
Fill ramekins or other small dishes with cornichons, shallots, mustard, and capers and arrange around the warm spread and toast basket.
Leftover spread can be chilled for several days.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray's mom, Elsa Scuderi
Recipe courtesy of Tom Pizzica
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali