Vampires hate this recipe.
- 1 bag red or yellow pearl onions
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cubed for stew
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 head garlic, cloves crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red or white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- One 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- Crusty bread for mopping
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Bring a saucepot of water to a boil, then boil the onions for 3 to 4 minutes, drain and cool. Squeeze pearl the onions from the skins, pushing with root end facing away from you.
Pat the meat dry and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Heat the oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown evenly all over, then remove to a plate and lower the heat to medium. Add the butter and melt, then add the garlic and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until lightly brown, a few minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, then add the wine to deglaze. Add the beef, stock and tomatoes. Combine and roast, covered, until tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Serve with the bread for mopping, and garnish with the parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.