Grilled Fish Sammies with Garlic Tartar Sauce and Baked Waffle Fries with Spicy Bloody Ketchup and a Slaw Salad
- 1 pound store-bought waffle fries
- 4 (6-ounce) fillets white fish, such as halibut, skinless
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup pitted chopped green olives
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 or 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, your preference
- 1 lemon
- Celery salt, to season fries
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 8 green or red leaf lettuce leaves
- Slaw Salad, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and bake fries 20 minutes, or according to package directions, turning once.
Heat skillet or grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
Season the fish with salt and pepper and coat with about 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.
Toast rolls on grill or heat broiler and set them in the middle of the oven to brown, then reserve.
Combine mayonnaise with grated garlic, capers, olives, parsley.
Combine ketchup with Worcestershire, hot sauce, horseradish and lots of black pepper.
Cook fish 3 to 4 minutes on each side until firm, opaque and cooked through. Squeeze lemon over cooked fish.
Remove fries from oven and season with celery salt and pepper.
Place fish on rolls with lettuce, red onion and tartar sauce. Serve fries alongside with bloody ketchup.Slaw Salad:
1 bulb fennel with tops, thinly sliced plus 1/4 cup fennel tops
1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick's)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a large bowl, combine the fennel, fennel tops and red cabbage. In a separate small bowl, combine the honey, cider vinegar, grill seasoning, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007