Grilled Shrimp and Chorizo Skewers with Piquillo Gazpacho
- 16 extra large, 6 to 8 count, peeled and deveined shrimp
- Coarse salt
- 1 lemon, zested and 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling
- 1 package (3/4-pound) chorizo cut into 16 thick slices on an angle (recommended: Gaspar's)
- 1 generous handful flat-leaf parsley
- 1 generous handful cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, cracked from skin
- 1 jar piquillo, Spanish roasted peppers - available in most markets, roasted red peppers may be substituted, about 1 cup packed, drained
- 1 can (28-ounces) fire-roasted tomatoes, diced or crushed
- 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled, chopped
- 2 ribs celery from heart, chopped
- 2 thick slices crusty bread, chopped
- 1 tablespoons hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco) for medium to spicy heat level, adjust to your own taste
Preheat grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
Place shrimp in shallow dish and season with salt, lemon juice and a liberal drizzle on extra-virgin olive oil, just enough to coat the shrimp. Skewer 4 shrimp alternating with 4 slices of chorizo on each skewer.
Place 2 tablespoons, a palm full, of parsley on the cutting board with the lemon zest. Add 1/2 palm full of cilantro leaves to the pile as well as 1 clove of garlic. Finely chop this mixture and reserve for sprinkling over shrimp and gazpacho.
Place remaining herbs and garlic in the food processor or a large blender with peppers, tomatoes, chopped vegetables, bread and hot sauce and process until smooth.
Grill shrimp and chorizo 3 to 4 minutes on each side until shrimp is firm and opaque. Serve small bowls of gazpacho with shrimp skewers resting across the top of the bowls for dipping and dunking. Garnish with reserved parsley, cilantro and garlic mixture.
Grilled Tuna Steaks With Pesto(00:03:13)
Citrus Salsa Grilled Salmon(00:04:21)
Grilled Shrimp Scampi(00:01:30)
Fish Skewers With Chimichurri(00:03:50)
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse