- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, cracked away from skin
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread
- 1 pound smoked fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 basil leaves, torn
Heat a grill pan over medium low to medium heat. Heat oil and garlic in a small pot over low heat. Brush 4 slices of the bread with garlic oil on 1 side. Place garlic oil side down on the grill. Top with sliced cheese, tomato and basil. Place another slice of bread on top of each sandwich. Brush sandwiches with garlic oil. Press sandwiches with heavy skillet or a brick covered with tin foil. Toast sandwiches on both sides to melt cheese.