Italian-Style Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- 8 slices good quality white bread
- 1/2 cup fig or plum preserves
- 8 slices mild provolone or fontina cheese
- 8 slices prosciutto cotto with rosemary (recommended: Citterio)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple handfuls
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups arugula or baby arugula
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Prepare the sandwiches by spreading 4 slices of the bread with preserves. Top with a slice of cheese, 2 slices of folded prosciutto, then another slice of cheese. Spread the remaining bread slices with Dijon and set in place over the cheese.
In a large shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the milk or cream, Parmesan, and parsley. Nest the butter in a paper towel and wipe it across the hot pan. Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture and cook the sandwiches until deep golden, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Toss the arugula with the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a large serving bowl. Cut the sandwiches from corner to corner and serve alongside the salad.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Memphis Monte Cristo, Croque Monsieur Style Monte Cristo Croutons with Frisee Salad and Shallot Vinaigrette, Monte Cristo Frittata, Grilled Pineapple Spears with Crystallized Ginger and Pumpernickel Bread with Honey-Rosemary Ricotta, Easy Stir-Frying, Easy Side Dish, Easy, Easy Dessert, Easy Grilling, Easy Lunch