Jalapeno Chermoula Penne and Flaked Fish
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- About 1/2 cup EVOO, plus more to brush the fish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds cod or other sustainable flaky but firm white fish
- Seafood seasoning
- 1 pound penne
- Toasted slivered almonds, for garnish
Place the basil, cilantro, mint, jalapenos, garlic, shallots, lime juice, olive oil and some salt and pepper in the food processor. Pulse to finely chop and combine the sauce; it should resemble a loose pesto. Store in an airtight container.
To serve, preheat the broiler and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Brush the fish with oil and sprinkle with the seafood seasoning. Broil until opaque and brown at edges.
Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente, reserving 1 cup of the starchy water before draining.
Toss the pasta with half of the starchy water, the sauce and half of the flaked cooked fish. Taste to adjust the seasoning, and add more of the pasta water if the pasta is dry. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls topped with the remaining fish and some almonds.