Meatloaf Muffins with Barbecue Sauce
- 1 2/3 to 1 3/4 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 ribs celery from the heart of the stalk, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large egg plus a splash of milk, beaten
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Micro-way-cool Bacon and Green Beans, recipe follows
- Smashed Potatoes and Cream Cheese, recipe follows
- Micro-way-cool Bacon and Green Beans:
- 6 slices microwave ready-crisp bacon
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen green beans
- A drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Smashed Potatoes and Cream Cheese:
- 2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes or baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 8 ounces plain cream cheese or veggie cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 10 chives or 2 scallions, chopped or snipped with kitchen scissors
- Salt and pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Put ground beef into a big bowl. Put onion and celery into a food processor. Cut the bell pepper in half, rip out the seeds and throw them into your garbage bowl. Cut the pepper into a few pieces and add to the food processor. Pulse the processor blades to finely chop the vegetables into very small pieces then add them to the meat bowl. Add egg, beaten with milk, bread crumbs and grill seasoning to the bowl. Next, mix together the smoky barbecue sauce, the salsa and the Worcestershire sauce. Pour half the sauce mixture into the bowl with the meatloaf mix. Mix the meatloaf together with your hands. Wash up. Brush a 12-muffin tin (1/2-cup each) with vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil. Use an ice cream scoop to help you fill meat into a each tin. Top each meat loaf with a spoonful of extra sauce. Bake about 20 minutes. Cut open 1 muffin to test that the middle is cooked through. While meatloaf muffins bake, make green beans in the microwave. Serve meatloaf with Smashed Potatoes and Cream Cheese on the side, too.Micro-way-cool Bacon and Green Beans:
Place bacon between paper towels and microwave 60 seconds on high. Cool bacon and chop or crumble it up.
Place green beans in a bowl and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and microwave green beans on high for 5 minutes, stir and cook 5 minutes more. Remove wrap and top green beans with crumbled bacon.Smashed Potatoes and Cream Cheese:
Boil potatoes until tender, 15 minutes. While the water boils and when the potatoes are cooking, you can be working on the meatloaf recipe.
When the potatoes are tender, drain them and return them to the hot pot to let them dry out a bit. Mash potatoes with half-and-half or milk using a potato masher. Add in the cream cheese and smash until the cheese melts into the potatoes. Then add chives and scallions and season with salt and pepper, to your taste.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray