- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (1/2 a 16-ounce package cole slaw mix)
- A few pinches ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 gingersnap cookies, ground in food processor
- 1/4 cup aged tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (1 turn around the pan in a slow drizzle) wok or vegetable oil
- 6 large (12-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- Shred up a pile of your favorite raw vegetables or
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- Shredded carrots
- Fresh bean sprouts
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Jasmine Rice Sundaes, recipe follows
- Cucumber salad, recipe follows
Combine the pork, cabbage, cayenne pepper, garlic, gingersnap cookies, and soy sauce in a bowl. Form mixture into patties. Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add wok or vegetable oil to the pan. Cook patties 7 minutes on each side.
Heat tortillas on a nonstick surface over high heat for 30 seconds on each side. Paint the tortillas with hoisin sauce, leaving a 1-inch rim from edge. Pile shredded mixed veggies in center of tortilla and top with cooked pork patty. Fold the tortilla up on all four sides and wrap burger in a square package. Invert pork pocket and cut on diagonal. Serve pockets with jasmine rice sundaes and cucumber salad.
Jasmine Rice Sundaes:
- Cooked jasmine rice
- Duck sauce
- Toasted sesame seeds
Scoop prepared jasmine rice onto dinner plates using an ice cream scoop. Top with duck sauce and toasted sesame seed "sprinkles". This is a great use for those packets of leftover duck sauce that clutter up your junk drawers in the kitchen and kids love the look of the technique.
Asian Cucumber Salad:
- 1 European seedless cucumber or 2 Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar or white distilled vinegar
- 2 rounded teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Spread cucumber slices in a thin layer on double-ply paper towels. Roll paper towels up to squeeze water from sliced cucumbers. Transfer sliced cucumbers to a bowl and toss with sliced peppers.
Combine remaining ingredients in a small plastic container and shake until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Pour the dressing over the cucumbers, toss, and serve.