Morrocan Chili and 10,000 Grains of Sand
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- A handful golden raisins
- 4 apricots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 3 to 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- A handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- A handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 8 pita breads, cut into wedgesfor scooping
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, add meat and brown. Season the meat with salt and pepper, to taste, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and paprika. Add the bay leaf, onions, bell pepper and garlic to the pan. Cook until onions are soft, 8 minutes. Add lemon juice and zest, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Stir and reduce heat to simmer.
Bring butter and stock to a boil in a pot with tight fitting lid. Add dried fruit and couscous, stir then turn off heat and set lid in place. Let stand 5 minutes. Add nuts and herbs and toss with fork.
Toast pita wedges in hot oven or under broiler. Pile chili in bowls, top with "sand" and serve with pita wedges for scooping.