Oven Baked Corn Dogs
- 2 boxes corn muffin mix, 8 1/2 ounces each (recommended: Jiffy brand)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, eyeball it in your palm
- 2 teaspoons cumin, eyeball it
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper sauce (recommended: Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 8 jumbo pork or beef franks
- Sweet Relish Slaw Salad, recipe follows
- 1 bag reduced fat potato chips (recommended: Cape Cod brand or Terra brand Garlic and Onion flavor Yukon chips)
- Sweet Relish Slaw Salad:
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar, eyeball it
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, eyeball it
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 pound shredded cabbage salad (slaw salad mix with carrots and red cabbage, available in produce department marked "Cole Slaw Mix" in 1 pound packages)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 scallions, sliced
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a shallow dish, combine muffin mix with flour, then stir in eggs, milk and melted butter. Season the mix with chili powder, cumin, cayenne and scallions. The batter will be a thick, sticky biscuit dough. Place a hot dog in the bowl of batter and swoosh it around to coat it. Remove coated dog to a nonstick cookie sheet and use your fingers to spread batter on any exposed dog spots. Don't coat it too thick, just shy of 1/2-inch should do the trick. If it's too thick it will just slide off the dog while it's baking, leaving the dog exposed. If that happens don't sweat it, they will still taste great. Repeat until all 8 are coated. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until evenly deep brown all over.
Serve the oven baked corn dogs with your favorite hot dog condiments. Serve with Sweet Relish Slaw Salad and with some baked or reduced-fat chips alongside the dogs.Sweet Relish Slaw Salad:
In the bottom of a medium, shallow bowl combine relish, vinegar, oil, garlic, bay and cloves. Let stand 5 minutes then fish out the garlic, bay and cloves. Add cabbage salad and toss, let stand 10 to 20 minutes in the refrigerator. Season salad with salt and pepper, toss in the scallions then serve.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray