Pepper Crusted Tenderloin with Mushroom Cream and Roast Asparagus
- 3/4 pound asparagus, trimmed at stem (fat stems should be peeled down a bit as well)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 (1-inch thick, 3 to 4-inch round) beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 pound total
- 4 teaspoons coarse black pepper, a rounded palm full
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 white mushroom caps, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cognac or brandy, eyeball it
- 3/4 cup cream, eyeball it
- Chopped parsley leaves or chives, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Spread asparagus on small baking sheet and dress with a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt. Roast the spears in a hot oven until tender and ends are crisp and slightly brown at edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Asparagus should remain bright green.
Take the chill off the meat then pour the black pepper onto a small plate. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high to high heat. When oil smokes, press each steak into pepper to coat then place peppered side down in the skillet. Sear and caramelize the meat 3 to 4 minutes, turn and cook 2 minutes more for rare, 3 minutes for pink.
While the meat cooks, heat a small skillet over medium flame and melt then butter. Add mushrooms and lightly saute them for 4 to 5 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add cognac or brandy to the pan. Be careful of flare ups. You may want to add the liquor off the stove top then return the skillet to the heat. Reduce the liquid by half, cooking off the alcohol and concentrating the flavor, then stir in the cream and warm it through. Reduce heat a bit and let sauce thicken 2 to 3 minutes.
Spoon sauce over meat and serve with asparagus alongside.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Pepper-Crusted Tuna Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette and Fresh Wasabi Leaves, Black Pepper-Crusted Burgers with Mustard Sauce, Pepper-crusted Steak with Strawberry Zinfandel Sauce and Orange-Mustard Aioli, Beef Stroganoff Recipes, Caramelizing, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Easy Side Dish, Easy Lunch, Christmas Dinner Recipes