Red Snapper in Crazy Water: Acqua Pazza
- 2 1/2 pounds red snapper fillet with skin, cut into 3-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning blend (recommended: Old Bay)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 jar flat anchovy fillets
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, 5 or 6 pieces (not in oil, available in produce department, packaged in pouches), coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock, available in paper containers on soup aisle
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread, for serving
Season fish pieces with salt, pepper and seafood seasoning. Heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and anchovies. Melt anchovies into oil. Add snapper, skin side down and crisp the skin. Turn and brown the fish in oil 3 mintutes. Add wine and deglaze the pan (lift up drippings) then add sun-dried tomato pieces, capers and scallions and stir in chicken stock. Stir the stew/soup or "stoup" gently so you do not break up the fish. Bring the broth to a simmer and cook another 3 to 5 minutes to combine flavors.
Serve fish in shallow bowls with plenty of crazy broth. Garnish with parsley and pass plenty of crusty bread for dipping, dunking and mopping!
Thank you! your flag was submitted.