Roasted Mushrooms, Parsnip, Potatoes and Spinach Casserole
- Parsnips, Potatoes and Spinach Casserole
- 4 large starchy potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 small peeled onion
- 1 box frozen chopped organic spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- About 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Parmesan
- Roasted Mushrooms
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms - when you bring them home, wipe them, stem them and slice them, portobellos should be gilled and sliced, buttons may be halved, shiitakes, oysters or other wild mushrooms may be coarsely chopped
- 8 to 10 cloves garlic, crushed
- Several sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
Put the potatoes and parsnips in large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, over medium heat. Salt the water and cook the vegetable until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and return them to the hot pot. Grate in 3 to 4 tablespoons of onion, then add the spinach, butter, half of the milk and all of the cream. Season with salt, pepper and a little freshly grated nutmeg, to taste. Mash the mixture together and taste to adjust seasonings. Add the extra splash of milk if the potatoes are too tight. Cool to room temperature, then stir in the eggs and transfer the mixture to a casserole. Cover with cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Cool and chill for a make-ahead meal.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Put the casserole on a baking sheet and put it in the lower third of the oven. Bake until hot and golden, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Serve the mushrooms alongside the casserole.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.