Sandwich Night: The Sliced Chicken and Mushroom Rachael
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 -pound package sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Grill seasoning blend (recommended: McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 8 slices marble rye, rye, or pumpernickel bread
- 8 slices Gruyere or deli Swiss cheese
- 4 large deli pickles
- 1 bunch radishes, halved and salted
A "Rachel" is a Reuben made with turkey or smoked turkey rather than corned beef. This sammie, The Rachael, swaps thinly sliced, freshly cooked chicken breast for the turkey-and it combines sweet sauteed onions with the sauerkraut, swaps nutty Gruyere for deli Swiss cheese, and adds homemade herbed Thousand Island dressing and sauteed mushrooms to complement the cheese and chicken, to boot.
In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat, then add the mushrooms, and raise the heat a bit. Cook the mushrooms until tender and dark, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sage midway through the cooking time. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper, to taste, after they're dark and tender, as salt slows the browning by drawing out liquids.
Meanwhile, in a second small skillet over medium heat melt another tablespoon of the butter. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the sauerkraut, cook until warmed through, then turn off the heat. While the onions cook, heat a cast iron pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Season the chicken liberally with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Add the extra-virgin olive oil to the pan or griddle and cook the chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate. Wipe down the skillet or griddle, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Thinly slice the chicken on an angle.
Add the sour cream, relish, and ketchup to a small bowl and stir in the fresh herbs.
Lightly butter 1 side of the bread slices with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Build the sandwiches with buttered sides facing out, in this order: dressing, cheese, mushrooms, sliced chicken, sauerkraut with onions, cheese, and ending with the dressing to set in place. Grill the sandwiches for about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with pickles and salted radishes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.