Spiced Lamb Chops on Sauteed Peppers and Onions with Garlic and Mint Couscous
- 8 loin lamb chops
- Coarse salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/3 palm full
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 1/3 palm full
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika, 1/3 palm full
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cubed, 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow skinned onion, cubed, 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, a couple of handfuls
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 5 or 6 sprigs fresh mint, finely chopped, about 3 tablespoons
Cover the chops with waxed paper or plastic and whack each chop with the heel of your palm to flatten it out. Season chops with salt and pepper on both sides. Combine cumin, coriander and paprika and sprinkle the mixture evenly over chops. Pat the spices in place and wash up. Let chops stand 15 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add peppers and onions. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and cook together 5 minutes, then add grape tomatoes and continue to cook until skins begin to burst on tomatoes. Add half the flat-leaf parsley to the skillet and toss. Transfer vegetables to a platter and cover with loose foil to hold heat.
Place a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a small pot for couscous, just eyeball the amount. Heat oil over medium heat and add garlic. Saute garlic 1 minute then add the pine nuts to toast a little. Add chicken stock to the pot and bring it up to a boil. Add couscous, remove from heat, and cover the pot. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Return skillet to stove and add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan. Add lamb chops to skillet and sear 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium rare, cook 4 minutes on each side for medium well chops. Place chops on top of the peppers and onions.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.