Super-Stuffed Monte-Cristo Sandwiches
- 8 slices center cut or apple wood smoked bacon
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Warm 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg or ground -- eyeball it
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper -- eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 thick cut sliced whole-grain soft bread, white, or challah
- 1/2 cup brown mustard
- 1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 pound sliced havarti cheese
- 1 pound sliced ham
- 1 pound sliced turkey breast
- 1 1/2 cups medium to dark amber maple syrup
Heat a griddle pan or large skillet over medium high heat. Cook bacon and remove to paper towels to drain, 5 minutes. Drain off fat. Reheat griddle over medium heat. Make sandwiches in 2 batches.
Beat eggs with half-and-half, nutmeg and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the griddle or pan and melt. Turn 4 slices bread in batter, then add to griddle or pan. Turn bread after it browns, 2 to 3 minutes. Top 2 bread slices with mustard, the other 2 with cranberry sauce. Add 2 slices of cheese and bacon on the cranberry covered bread. Add ham, then turkey to the mustard covered bread. Use a spatula to assemble 2 sandwiches and turn and press gently to set sandwiches in place. Repeat to make 2 more sandwiches. Cut sandwiches from corner to corner.
Heat syrup in microwave safe container for 30 seconds. Drizzle syrup over sandwiches at the table.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray