Super-Stuffed Monte-Cristo Sandwiches
- 8 slices center cut or apple wood smoked bacon
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Warm 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg or ground -- eyeball it
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper -- eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 thick cut sliced whole-grain soft bread, white, or challah
- 1/2 cup brown mustard
- 1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 pound sliced havarti cheese
- 1 pound sliced ham
- 1 pound sliced turkey breast
- 1 1/2 cups medium to dark amber maple syrup
Heat a griddle pan or large skillet over medium high heat. Cook bacon and remove to paper towels to drain, 5 minutes. Drain off fat. Reheat griddle over medium heat. Make sandwiches in 2 batches.
Beat eggs with half-and-half, nutmeg and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the griddle or pan and melt. Turn 4 slices bread in batter, then add to griddle or pan. Turn bread after it browns, 2 to 3 minutes. Top 2 bread slices with mustard, the other 2 with cranberry sauce. Add 2 slices of cheese and bacon on the cranberry covered bread. Add ham, then turkey to the mustard covered bread. Use a spatula to assemble 2 sandwiches and turn and press gently to set sandwiches in place. Repeat to make 2 more sandwiches. Cut sandwiches from corner to corner.
Heat syrup in microwave safe container for 30 seconds. Drizzle syrup over sandwiches at the table.