Tabbouleh Salad with Nuts
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 2 handfuls pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
In a small pot add the water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour the bulgur into a bowl, douse it with the boiling water and let stand 15 minutes.
Put the nuts in small skillet over low heat and lightly toast. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a salad bowl, combine the cumin, zest and juice of 1 lemon and whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the bulgur, herbs, scallions, tomatoes, cucumber and salt, to taste. Toss together, let stand a few minutes, adjust seasoning and toss again before serving.