Texas Style Bacon, Beans and Eggs: Black Bean Chilaquiles
- 12 corn or flour tortillas, cut into strips
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 slices smoky lean bacon, sliced across the strips 1/2-inch long
- 1 red onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 Fresno or jalapeno chiles, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can black beans
- 1 tablespoon cumin (a scant palmful)
- 1 rounded tablespoon chile powder (a healthy palmful)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup beer (recommended: Negra Modelo)
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Small handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded hot pepper sharp Cheddar cheese or Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 eggs, to prepare any style (1 per person)
- Ripe avocado, halved, pitted and diced
- Lime, cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add bacon and brown then remove with a slotted spoon. To the skillet, add the onions, Fresno peppers, and garlic and saute a few minutes.
Add the beans and season with cumin, chile powder, salt, and pepper, stir in tomatoes, cilantro, and beer. Thicken 1 minute, then adjust seasoning and arrange on top of tortillas, and scatter in bacon bits and cheese.
Cool and store for make-ahead meal.
Bake in the hot oven until bubbly and hot, top with fried eggs (as soft or hard as you like), diced avocado and lime wedges.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.