Veal or Turkey and Spinach Manicotti
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 pounds ground veal or ground turkey breast
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups passata (Italian tomato puree in glass jars) or canned tomato puree
- 1 package organic frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 box manicotti pasta tubes
- One 5-ounce container soft cheese with herbs, such as Boursin
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
Defrost the spinach in the microwave, wring dry and separate.
Heat the EVOO in a pan over medium-high heat. Pat the meat dry, and then add to the pan and lightly brown while you crumble. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. . Add the onions and garlic and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Deglaze the pan with the wine, stir and add 2 cups tomato puree, followed by the spinach. Stir, reduce heat to a low simmer and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
Pour the remaining 2 cups tomato puree into a casserole.
Melt the butter in saucepot over medium to medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute. Then add the milk, bring to a bubble, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and cook until it's thick enough to coat a spoon. Stir in the soft cheese.
Working over the casserole dish, fill the manicotti with the meat using a spoon. Top the manicotti with the white sauce and Parmesan. Cover with parchment and foil and cool or bake off. Bake, covered, at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes from fresh, or bake 1 hour from cold to heat through and cook the pasta. Then uncover and bake until brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes more.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.