Where's Waldorf? Salad with My Friend Izzy's Epic Dressing
- 1 cup whole walnut halves
- 1 heart celery with greens, wiped clean and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, split
- 2 Gala apples, seeded and chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons honey, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cream, eyeball it
- Salt and pepper
- 1 head Bibb lettuce or butter lettuce
Toast nuts in a small skillet over moderate heat in a small pan until aroma develops and nuts crisp a bit, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine walnuts, celery, onion, grapes and apples in a medium bowl. Whisk lemon juice, honey, vinegar, cardamom, dill and mustead, then whisk in extra-virgin olive oil in a slow stream. When oil becomes incorporated stream in cream, then season the dressing with salt and pepper, to taste.
Dress salad and adjust salt and pepper, to taste. Use 2 large lettuce leaves per serving to form a bed for the salad.