Red Lentil Pate
- 1 cup large or small red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pita toasts, to serve
- Crudite, to serve
In a 3-quart saucepan over high heat, combine the lentils with 4 cups water and bring it to a boil. Skim and discard any foam and add the bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes; drain.
While the lentils simmer, in a small saute pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and pine nuts and cook until the onion softens and the pine nuts begin to color, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, coriander, caraway, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat.
In a food processor, add the lentils and onion mixture and puree until smooth.
Transfer to a serving bowl and serve at once. May be covered and chilled and served cold. Serve with pita toasts or crudite.Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories 235; Total Fat 12.5 g; (Sat Fat 1.3 g, Mono Fat 6.3 g, Poly Fat 3.3 g) ; Protein 10g; Carb 22 g; Fiber 5.5 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 345 mg
Thank you! your flag was submitted.