Ricotta and Candied Fruit Semifreddo
Semifreddo is a semifrozen custard dessert. A cassata is a Sicilian sponge cake filled with ricotta cheese and candied fruits. This recipe[ combines the characteristics of a semifreddo and a cassata for a super-refreshing dessert that is both cold and tart.]
- 1/2 pound fresh ricotta, squeezed in cheesecloth if watery
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest julienned
- 1 orange, zest julienned
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, rinsed and patted dry
Place the ricotta in a mixing bowl and whip it with an electric mixer or a whisk until smooth.
Place the heavy cream in a mixing bowl and whip it while adding the sugar a little at a time, until well incorporated.
Refrigerate until serving, but don't let it sit for more than 1 hour, or it will lose its fluffiness. Add the strawberries just before serving so that they don't "bleed out" and color the dish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.