- 2 large eggplants (peeled and sliced)
- 1 pint milk (for soaking eggplant in)
- 4 eggs
- 1 pound yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, roughly torn
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- 1 ripe mango diced
- 4 tomatoes diced
- 1 English cucumber peeled and diced
- 2 red onions thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons torn mint leaves
- 1 pint canola oil, for frying
In a large bowl add the eggplant and milk. Let soak about 30 minutes, then strain and set aside. Whisk the eggs together in a medium glass bowl and place cornmeal on a flat sheet tray. Toss the drained eggplant into the egg until evenly coated. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow any excess to drip back into the bowl. Drop the eggplant into the cornmeal and toss to coat well. Remove from the cornmeal, place in a shallow bowl and refrigerate until needed.
Mix the 1/3 cup olive oil, rice wine vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper
In a large bowl, toss all the salad ingredients together including the torn mint and drizzle with the dressing.
Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or a large saute pan, to 350 degrees F. In batches, if necessary, fry the eggplant until crispy and golden brown. Remove from fryer with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Place salad in serving plates and top each serving with eggplant.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.