Lightning Chili and Rice
- Ingredients for chili:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and stems removed and chopped (use gloves, avoid breathing fumes, and protect your eyes when handling these and all hot peppers)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 ( 29 to 32-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley leaves, plus 8 small sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh cilantro leaves, plus 8 small sprigs for garnish
- Ingredients for rice:
- 4 cups beef consomme
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
Heat oil in a skillet and saute onions until translucent. Add garlic and saute until it begins to turn golden brown, being careful not to burn it. Stir in hot peppers and cook until they begin to soften. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain off any fat. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add tomato paste, hot sauce, beans, tomatoes, parsley and cilantro and simmer 30 minutes.
While chili is simmering, bring consomme to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in rice and butter and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes without removing lid. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes.
Spoon rice onto serving plate and top with chili and garnish with parsley and cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.