Red and Green Bean Salad
- 1 lime
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeds removed and diced small
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and diced small
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds and stems removed and minced (use gloves and protect your eyes and nose when handling all hot peppers)
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 fresh radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 red onion, medium dice
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, gently crushed with the blade of a knife and quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Microwave lime in a small bowl for about 30 seconds to release essential oils, and set aside until it is just cool enough to handle. Prepare salsa by combining tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, mango, parsley, serrano pepper, and garlic. When the lime is just cooled down enough to handle, cut it in half, remove any seeds and squeeze the lime juice into the salsa. Season with salt and pepper, stir to combine and set aside.
Blanch the green beans for about 2 minutes in salted water, drain and let cool.
Prepare the dressing. Through the feed opening of a running blender add, 1 at a time, rice wine vinegar, ground ginger, garlic and parsley until a smooth paste forms. Leaving the blender running, add the olive oil in a slow stream through the feed opening. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Gently fold the cooled green beans with the salsa, radishes, tomatoes, and red onion. Use enough of the dressing to coat, but do not feel compelled to use all of the dressing. You can serve the rest of the dressing on the side.