- Tempura mix:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 12 ounces cold seltzer
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 liters canola oil (approximately, as needed for deep-frying)
- 1 pound (21-30 count) shrimp, deveined and shells removed
- Special equipment: Approximately 12 (8-inch) bamboo skewers
To make tempura, mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and curry powder in a bowl. Dredge the shrimp in this dry mix, shaking any excess back into the bowl, and add seltzer to the tempura in a stream while whisking constantly to make it into batter. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat canola oil to 375 degrees F in a deep-fryer, or according to the manufacturer's instructions for similar foods.
Thread the dusted shrimp onto skewers, approximately 4 to a skewer. Pour the tempura batter into a glass pie plate, dip each skewer of shrimp into the tempura batter, and add to the deep- fryer basket. Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper toweling and serve warm.
Note: In the episode this dish was used as part of the bento box of 5 cooked tasting size entrees in conjunction with Miso Glazed Pink Cod; Chicken Yakitori with Scallions; Shrimp Tempura; Gyoza; and Korokee.