Sirloin Steak with Mushroom Marsala Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 finely diced shallots, or 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups Marsala wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 8 (8 to 10-ounce) New York Strip steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives, chopped
Begin the Marsala sauce by heating the olive oil in a large saute pan. Cook the shallots (or onion) and mushrooms gently until they become translucent. Deglaze the pan with the wine and add the stock and fresh thyme. Allow to reduce by two-thirds.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and season meat on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear the meat on both sides, and grill to about 128 degrees F internal temperature for medium-rare. Remove meat from grill and let rest.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis