Spicy Red Curry Chicken and Rice
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch strips, or skinless, boneless breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps quartered
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Toasted peanuts and cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Steamed rice and lime wedges, for serving
In a small bowl, whisk the coconut milk with the curry paste and fish sauce until combined. Heat a large skillet until very hot. Add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and heat until just smoking. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet in a single layer. Cook over high heat, turning once, until the chicken is browned but not cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and pour off the fat in the skillet. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the skillet. Add the shiitake caps and stir-fry over high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger and garlic, stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken, red curry mixture and the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken and curry sauce to a serving bowl and garnish with peanuts and cilantro. Serve immediately with rice and lime wedges.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.