Spinach and Cheese Omelet with Farm Fruit Salad in Champagne Vinaigrette
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Gouda or havarti cheese
- Fruit Salad:
- 1 teaspoon Asian chile paste ( sambal olek)
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 cups cubed fresh seedless watermelon
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 2 fresh mint leaves, cut in chiffonade, for garnish
For the omelet: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until well-whipped. Add the chives, thyme, salt and pepper, whisking together. Next, in a nonstick omelet pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and allow the pan to heat until hot. Turn the heat off, add the spinach and toss: This step should be done quickly, being careful not overcook or wilt the spinach. Next, place the same pan over high heat, allow the pan to get hot, reduce the heat to medium, and add the whisked eggs. Once the eggs have been added, continue to cook over medium heat, folding the exterior towards the middle of the pan. This folding and blending will ensure that the eggs cook evenly and do not brown. Once the eggs are almost fully cooked, after 2 to 3 minutes, add the spinach and cheese to the center of the eggs. Then fold one side over the spinach with a spatula and repeat with the other side. Finally, flip the filled omelet over and plate.
For the vinaigrette: In a large bowl, whisk together the chile paste, vinegar, salt, and honey until well mixed, 1 minute. Next, slowly pour in the grapeseed oil, whisking constantly to emulsify. Be sure not add the oil too quickly as this will cause the dressing to break. Taste for seasoning.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.