Tuna Tartare in a Cucumber Boat topped with Caviar
- 6 ounces sushi tuna
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 ounce extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 6 cucumbers (to make 6 cucumber "boats")
- 1 -ounce black caviar
- 6 parsley sprigs
With a heavy sharp knife, chop tuna into very small slices. In a mixing bowl, combine tuna, chives, capers, shallots, lemon juice, oil, salt and freshly ground pepper and chill for 1 hour.
Whilst tuna is chilling, prepare cucumber boats. Peel cucumber and cut into 2-inch long cylinders. With a teaspoon, scoop out the seeds from inside the cucumber disc without touching the very bottom of the cucumber. (In other words, leave a "bottom" in the hollowed-out center of the cucumber.)
Season cucumber with salt and pepper. Fill with 1-ounce of tuna tartare. Top with 1/8 teaspoon of caviar. Finish with a sprig of parsley.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved