- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head white cabbage, quartered
- 2 pieces bacon, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Lemon juice, as needed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch celery seed
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1 pound fresh sliced turkey breast
- 8 slices Swiss or Gruyere
For the kraut: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Add the stock, juice, pickling spice, black pepper, bay leaf, cabbage and bacon to a pan, cover and cook until the cabbage is softened, about 45 minutes. Once soft, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Then separate the cabbage and save the stock. After the cabbage is cooked, slice the quarters very thin and cover with the rice wine vinegar. Season and finish with a small amount of lemon juice.
To assemble: Put some butter on the grill. Place the bread on the buttered grill until golden brown. Place 1 slice of cheese on each slice of bread. Mix 2 tablespoons of the dressing with 1/4 cup of kraut per sandwich, place on the grill and warm throughout. Place the kraut and 4 ounces turkey on 4 bread slices. Top with the remaining bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.