Braised Clams in Parsley Broth, Peas and Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Fried Capers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 2 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup bottled clam juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup drained capers
- 1 baguette, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices and toasted until golden
- 3 roasted Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups frozen green peas, steamed until just tender
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add wine and cook 1 minute. Add clams, broth and clam juice and bring to a simmer. When clams have opened, remove them from pan, reserving liquid in pan, and transfer to a serving platter. Add parsley and butter to pan and simmer 1 minute. Place clams in serving bowls and pour over parsley broth.
Heat remaining oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add capers and cook 2 minutes.
Place diced tomatoes on baguette slices and top with fried capers. Serve bruschetta and peas alongside clams.