Asparagus and Tomato Tart
- 1 (9-inch) frozen pie crust
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus tips, reserve stems for Round 2 Recipe
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained well, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the frozen pie crust onto a baking sheet. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.
Saute the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel. Add onion and asparagus tips to the skillet with the bacon fat and saute until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
In a large bowl whisk together ricotta, milk and eggs. Add parsley, half the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add asparagus and onion mixture and combine well. Pour egg mixture into the prepared crust.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling has set and the tart is lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello