Beef Stew with Chocolate
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup frozen sliced carrots
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced brown mushrooms
- 3 cups diced red potatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely grated bittersweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 (1.5-ounce) packet meatloaf seasoning (recommended: McCormick)
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup red wine, preferably Merlot
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced and cleaned
In a large bowl combine beef stew meat, salt, pepper and flour. Toss until beef is well coated.
Heat the canola in a large saute pan over high heat. Add seasoned beef and sear on all sides until brown and caramelized. Remove to a plate and set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together grated chocolate, garlic, meatloaf packet, beef broth, and red wine. Pour into slow cooker and sprinkle the leeks over the top. Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 4 to 6 hours.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee
Recipe courtesy of Amy Thielen