- 1/2 pound beef tenderloin, trimmed of fat and skin
For Spice Rub:
- 1/4 cup coffee beans, finely ground
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground sage
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- Sage leaves, for garnish, optional
Fold over thin end of meat and tie with string every inch or so along the length of the tenderloin.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Combine ingredients for the rub in a medium baking pan. Place meat inside pan and rub meat generously with the spice mixture. Let meat sit 15 minutes and repeat rub. Place meat on a rack in a roasting pan in preheated oven. Do not baste or cover meat.
Immediately turn oven down to 400 degrees F.
Roast until an instant-read thermometer stuck in the thickest portion of the meat registers 130 degrees F for rare to 145 degrees F for medium. Remove from oven and let meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with sage leaves,if desired.