Gingerbread Cookies with Royal Icing
- Gingerbread cookies:
- 1 (17.5 ounce) package sugar cookie mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Royal Icing
- 2 large egg whites or 5 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Sanding sugar, if desired
- For Gingerbread Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cookies: In a large mixing bowl, blend all ingredients together and chill for up to 1 hour. Roll dough out on floured board about 1/8-inch thick. Cut desired shapes with cookie cutters and place onto sheet pan. Bake for 8 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool to room temperature before decorating.For Royal Icing:
With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice or extract until frothy. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, smooth, and shiny. Turn to high and beat approximately 5 minutes until stiff and glossy. Transfer to a pasty bag or zip top bag to pipe onto cookies. Decorate, if desired.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Throwdown Gingerbread Cookies, Gingerbread People Holiday cookie projects: White snowflakes, dreidel trios, and ornaments, Holiday Cookies: One Dough, Three Holiday Cookies, Gingerbread Recipes, Boston Cream Pie Recipes, Pecan Pie Recipes, Banana Split Recipes, Gelato Recipes, Lemon Cookie Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.