Hot and Sweet Smoked Nuts
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups whole natural almonds
In a mixing bowl, combine melted butter or oil, honey, sugar and all the seasonings. Make sure that any lumps of cayenne or cinnamon are broken down and stirred into the mix. The end result is a thick, sticky seasoning mixture. Add nuts and stir thoroughly to coat.
Place nuts on 1/2 of a 12-inch sheet of heavy-duty foil in a single layer. Fold over to make an envelope, pierce with a knife to make 3 (1-inch) slits. Place envelope on top grate of smoker and close. Smoke for 20 to 25 minutes, opening once to shake the envelope to stir it up.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee, 2007