Mini Leek Quiches
- 1 large or 2 small leeks, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 (14-ounce) box refrigerated pie dough, 2 rounds
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
- Special Equipment: 1 (24-count) or 2 (12-count) mini muffin pans
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Rinse the leeks in a bowl of water and strain. Set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter. When it is melted, add the leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cook until they are soft and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the thyme, and let cool to room temperature.
In a large measuring cup, whisk the cream and eggs with the pumpkin pie spice and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
Fill each muffin cup with 1 teaspoon of the cooled leeks and top with 1 teaspoon of the cheese. Cover the filling with the egg and cream mixture. Place the muffin tins onto cookie sheets and put them into the oven. Bake until the egg mixture has set and the quiches are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee