No Mess or Stress Stuffed Shells
- 1 box uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 (26-ounce) jar chunky tomato sauce with onion and garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled whole tomatoes
- 1 package (8) uncooked pre-seasoned meatballs
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese (whole milk)
- Special equipment: 1 (13 by 9-inch) baking dish or 1 (10-inch) round baking dish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare shells according to the directions on the box. After cooking shock in an ice bath.
In the large bowl combine the tomato sauce, and the can of peeled whole tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes with a fork. Add 4 of the meatballs to the sauce and break up with a fork.
In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, Parmesan, shredded provolone, egg, basil and Italian seasoning. Stir until well blended.
Pour the ricotta cheese mixture into a resealable bag. Cut 1 corner of the bag and use it to fill each pasta shell with cheese mixture.
Pour 2 inches of the sauce and meatball mixture in the baking dish. Add 12 cheese stuffed shells, top with 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese and pour half of the remaining sauce mixture over shells. Place the remaining 12 stuffed shells on top, add remaining sauce mixture and top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Slice the remaining 4 meatballs in half and place around the perimeter of the baking dish.
Cover with foil, and place in oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy Lissa Jean
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali