Spiced Applesauce Coffee Cake
- Butter flavored cooking spray
- 1 (16-ounce) box pound cake mix (recommended: Betty Crocker)
- 3/4 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1/3 cup pasteurized packaged egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (.74-ounce) packet spiced cider drink mix (recommended: Alpine)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Whipped topping flavored with vanilla extract, for serving
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, applesauce, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and almond extract. Using an electric mixer beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Pour into souffle dish and set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together baking mix, brown sugar, walnuts, cider mix, and melted butter. Sprinkle over cake batter. Use a butter knife to cut through cake and topping several times to swirl.
Place souffle dish on top of foil ring in slow cooker. Place 5 folded paper towels over slow cooker bowl and secure with lid. Cook on LOW setting for 4 to 6 hours or until tester comes out clean. Do not lift lid to check cake for the first 3 hours.
Cool in souffle dish on wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes before removing and slicing. Serve with whipped topping.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee, 2008