Turkey Cutlet with Tart Cherry Sauce
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter or oil, plus 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 4 chunks, for finishing
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey breast cutlet, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup merlot wine
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can tart cherries (recommended: Oregon)
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
In a large frying pan, heat the pan over medium-high heat and then add half the butter or oil.
Season turkey cutlet slices with salt and pepper. Place in large zip-top bag, along with the flour. Seal bag and shake to coat turkey. Remove turkey from bag, shaking off excess flour. Cook in a hot pan for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until done. Transfer to an ovenproof plate and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining butter or oil and turkey.
Add red wine, orange juice concentrate, and sugar to pan and scrape up any browned bits in pan. Bring to a boil and let reduce by half, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and swirl in the cherries and cold butter to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Note: When spooning sauce on top, do not cover the entire piece of meat. Spoon diagonally over the meat to show off the golden color.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray