- 1/2 pound marinated roasted peppers, recipe follows
- 1/4 pounds grilled eggplant
- 1/4 pound grilled zucchini
- 1/2 pound marinated mushrooms
- 1/2 pound assorted green and black olives
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marinated artichokes
- 3/4 pound marinated or plain bocconcini (small mozzarella balls)
- 1/2 pound soppressata (hard Italian sausage), thinly sliced
Arrange all components decoratively on a large platter.
Marinated Roasted Red Peppers:
- 3 large (about 2 pounds) red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lay peppers on their sides on racks of gas burners and turn flames on moderately high. Roast, turning frequently with tongs, until skins are blackened, 5 to 8 minutes. (Or broil on rack of a broiler pan about 4 inches from heat, turning frequently, 15 to 20 minutes.)
Transfer to a bowl, then cover, and let steam 10 minutes. Alternatively, place peppers in resealable plastic bags to steam. Peel peppers and discard stems and seeds. Cut lengthwise into 1-inch-wide strips.
In a bowl, place cleaned peppers. Douse with balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper, to taste.
Cooks' note: Peppers can marinate, covered and chilled, up to 3 days.
Yield: 6 servings