- 1 pound cow's milk ricotta, drained in a strainer for at least 2 hours
- 1/4 cup spinach, sauteed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- Olive oil, for coating
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, for re-heating
- Olive oil
- 3 shallots, julienned
- 3 ounces fresh porcini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, hydrated, then squeezed dry, liquid reserved
- 1 ounce brown beech mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch chili flakes
For the gnudi: Mix the ricotta, spinach, Parmesan, flour, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and eggs together. Make 2 small balls and test cook by placing them in boiling water until they float, then shock in iced water. Taste. If they are too soft and don't hold together, add more flour or breadcrumbs and test again.
Portion all of the gnudi and roll into balls. Cook in boiling water until they float, about 2 minutes, and shock in iced water. Coat in olive oil and reserve until ready to serve.
For the porcini puree: To caramelize the shallots, heat a large saute pan over high heat, add a few tablespoons of olive oil, then add the shallots. Allow to color on one side, then lower the heat and stir. Slowly cook until soft and sweet, about 5 minutes. Saute the mushrooms together with the shallots until lightly colored and tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and chili, and sweat for an additional 3 minutes. Pour the liquid from the hydrated porcini mushrooms into the pan. Allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
Transfer the contents into a blender and puree until the consistency is smooth. Add water if the mixture gets too thick in the blender and it stops moving. Add olive oil while blending to finish and taste for seasoning. Strain the sauce. Reserve until ready to serve.
To serve: Warm the porcini puree and reserve. Reheat the gnudi in a pan with salted simmering water and the melted butter. Plate the porcini puree, place gnudi on top and top with Parmesan cheese.