- 4 ears fresh or 3 cups frozen, thawed corn kernels
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, fresh farmer's cheese, feta cheese, or sour cream, optional
- Tortilla chips or fried tortilla strips, optional
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon, turning once until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Set aside. Add onion to bacon fat in saucepan and cook, stirring frequently until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
Add tomato-corn puree to saucepan with remaining 2 cups of broth. Bring to a low boil and add remaining whole corn kernels. Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and remove any foam as it develops with a large flat metal spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix in half of the parsley and cream, if desired, and heat through.To serve, garnished with crumbled bacon, remaining parsley, crumbled cheese and tortilla chips or strips.