- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan
- 1/4 to 1/3 pound chorizo, casings removed and finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 Portuguese rolls or sub rolls
- 4 deli-cut slices Swiss cheese
- 4 large dill or half sour pickles, chopped
- 1 bag plantain chips or other exotic chips
Preheat the broiler.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until browned, about 2 minutes, then add the pork. Cook the pork for 3 to 4 minutes, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, add the onions and garlic, and season the mixture with the allspice, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes then add the sugar, Worcestershire, and lime zest and juice. Mix well to distribute the flavors, then stir in stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a bubble and simmer for a couple of minutes.
Split the rolls and toast lightly under the broiler. Load the saucy meat mixture onto the rolls and top each with a slice of Swiss cheese. Return to the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese. Sprinkle with the chopped pickles and serve the sammies with a few chips alongside.