Anyone can cook up some ground meat on a grill, but, like Arthur and his sword, only a true King can bring this much flavor from the grill to the table. Conquer friends and family for the night with this smoky, spicy champion.
- 2 pounds lean ground sirloin
- 1/3 pound smoked Gouda cheese, diced into 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion or 1/2 large onion
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika, 2/3 palm full
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/3 palm full
- Grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Generous handful finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 (12-ounce) bottle beer
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 4 crusty Kaiser rolls, split and lightly toasted
- Green or red leaf lettuce, for topping
- Sliced sweet bread and butter pickles, for topping
Preheat grill over medium-high heat.
Place the meat in a bowl and add the cheese. Peel the onion and halve it, if using the medium onion. Grate about 3 to 4 tablespoons of onion directly over the meat into the bowl. Finely chop the remaining onion and reserve for topping. Add spices to meat: paprika, cumin and about 1 tablespoon of grill seasoning and/or some salt and pepper. Add garlic, parsley and Worcestershire and beer then form 4 large patties making them a little thinner at the center than at edges. Burgers plump when you cook them so this will prevent burger bulge. Drizzle a little olive oil over the burgers then grill about 4 minutes on each side for medium rare, 5 minutes on each side for medium and 6 to 7 minutes on each side for well done.
Serve patties on bun bottoms and top with lettuce, pickles, chopped raw onion. Slather bun tops with sauce and serve.